Saturday, April 17, 2010

Local Milk?


Many consumers today want to know the origin of their food and want to buy local. You can find out exactly where your dairy products were produced using the website http://whereismymilkfrom.com/. Simply go to the website and enter the dairy code on the product container to find out the state and plant that produced the product.

Another way consumers can determine where their food was produced is country of origin labeling. Country of origin labeling was introduced in 2009, requiring origin labeling of meats, nuts and raw produce, but not dairy products or processed foods.


There is currently a bill in the U.S. Senate that proposes extending country of origin labeling to include dairy products - milk, cheese, yogurt, and butter.


As a dairy producer, I support country of origin labeling because I believe consumers have a right to know where their food is produced.

4 comments:

  1. Even though I am a dairy wife, I love this website to see where my dairy products are from.

    I'm glad you've started this blog to get correct information out to the public. I have already posted it on my Facebook account and emailed friends and family about it.

    I wish you great success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris Mines MorganMay 13, 2010 at 11:10 PM

    I grew up in the city but one of my dad's cousins was a dairy farmer, in Howland, Ohio. Just discovered your blog thru the Farm and Dairy Facebook page which I saw listed on one of my cousin's pages, and enjoyed what I read so far. As a writer myself, I think you're doing a great job and a great community service.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been a long time since RHS and our little farm in Athens, Ohio. Miss the grass and seasons. I love your blog and will subscribe for all the great info and facts. Keep it up and kiss one of those cows for me....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the blog! What a great way to get correct info out there!

    I agree with your statement that consumers should know where their food comes from, I totally agree. But with the COOL legislation, if an animal is born in Canada (say someone buys a show heifer up there and brings her to the U.S.) - that label would read that the food is a product of the U.S. & Canada, which is a bit misleading if the animal is raised in the U.S.

    Just one of those things in the wording that could further confuse people.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to comment! I’m opening the doors of our farm to share with you and enjoy engaging in discussion. Please be respectful in your comments. I reserve the right to remove posts that include name calling, slander, and vulgar language or contain links to websites that assault animal agriculture.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...