Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Sharing the Story of our Dairy Farm

Last week we hosted the Geauga County Retired Teachers at our dairy farm. It was a pleasure hosting the group and they seemed to enjoy being there (despite the rainy weather). I always enjoy sharing the story of our farm with others. I’m energized by their questions and genuine interest in what we do on our farm.

People today are far removed from the farm. They’re not familiar with modern agriculture practices and rarely get to visit a working farm. The information people receive about agriculture from the national news or the Internet is often not accurate. So I’m always glad to have an opportunity to engage in a conversation with people about our farm and the realities of livestock production.

In the end, people leave our farm with a much better understanding about dairy. They see first-hand how we treat our animals, what we feed them and where they live. The myths they have heard about production agriculture are replaced with facts about how and why we do want we do. There are reasons for everything that happen on our dairy each day – we do the right things for the right reasons.

Thank you to the Geauga County Retired Teachers group for visiting! I enjoyed spending the afternoon with you. To see photos from your visit, go to the Hastings Dairy Facebook page.

I know it’s not possible for everyone to visit a farm, but I hope I’m bringing my farm to you via this blog and the Hastings Dairy Facebook page. Hope you come back for a weekly visit!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to comment! I’m opening the doors of our farm to share with you and enjoy engaging in discussion. Please be respectful in your comments. I reserve the right to remove posts that include name calling, slander, and vulgar language or contain links to websites that assault animal agriculture.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...