|Jack and Lad talk while a cow licks her newborn twins|
Are we all celebrating the same Food Day?
I think we can agree on some basic ideas; we all want safe & healthy food, sustainable farms, to alleviate hunger, protect land and animals, and support fair working conditions.
|Jack and Garrett love visiting the calves|
What I ask of you as a consumer is to use common sense. Have a mind of our own. Don’t allow groups to make you feel guilty for purchasing products you enjoy that are a part of your family’s healthy diet. When I read or hear something, I seek the motivation of the person or group behind the message. Many groups aim to stir up controversy to further their agenda. Their true goals are often hidden behind neatly packaged sound bites.
It’s important to have conversations about food and farming. Here are some great resources to find information and dialogue about food:
- Common Ground – Creating Conversations about Farming and Food
- The Center for Food Integrity – Building Trust and Confidence in Today’s Food System
- Animal Agriculture Alliance – Real Farmers Real Food
- FeedStuffs FoodLink – Connecting Farm to Fork
- Food Dialogues – Join the Conversation about Food
- Farmer Bloggers – Blogging Around the Farm
|Lad driving a hayride tour of our farm - visitors can see where milk is produced|
- Hey Oprah - You Don't Have to Go Vegan to Be Healthy and Compassionate
- Food, Inc. or Black Sheep?
- Sustainable Farms = Sustainable Food Supply
- Family Farm Not Factory Farm
At the end of the day, you must make your own choices and take responsibility for them. Join me in celebrating the variety of food choices we are so fortunate to enjoy in our nation.