Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Your Steak or Hamburger might be Dairy Beef

This week I attended the Ohio Dairy Producers Association Fall Meeting which featured four speakers addressing topics of interest to dairy farmers. One of the speakers was from the National Beef Check-Off. This program is funded by a $1/head investment from dairy and beef cattle farmers. The money is used for programs such as beef promotion, research, developing international markets, and providing consumer information.

Everyone knows dairy cows produce milk, but they are also utilized for beef production. See my blog Bessie Provides Milk and Beef. In fact, 20% of the U.S. beef supply is dairy beef. Of the dairy cattle harvested, 50% of the meat is made into ground beef and 50% are beef cuts such as steak or roast.

The speaker shared another interesting fact. The concept of dark cutting and how dairy and beef producers impact meat coloring. Dark cutting beef refers to muscle tissue that fails to turn the typical cherry red when exposed to air. Dark cutting beef is most often associated with pre-harvest stress. The darker meat has the same nutritional quality, but consumers are not willing to buy dark beef therefore the product value is reduced. As a consumer, I’m glad to know it’s in the best interest of dairy and beef producers, and the cattle’s well-being, to minimize the stress of the animal.


One of my family’s favorite meals is cheeseburgers with french-fried potatoes. I like burgers, but am always looking for new recipes to serve my beef-loving family. The speaker shared that the flat iron steak is rising in popularity. Once thought of as a lesser-quality cut of meat, this flavorful and relatively inexpensive steak is now a hot commodity due to an innovative cutting method. I plan on purchasing a package next time I go to the grocery store. Looking for a tasty beef recipe? Check out Beef It’s What’s for Dinner.

Flat Iron Steak

These websites provide a variety of beef information:
Beef Nutrition Resources 
My Beef Check Off Consumer Information
Ohio Beef Council

Enjoy nutrient-rich dairy and beef as part of a well-balanced and healthy diet!

1 comment:

  1. Please email me! I have a question about your blog! :)

    HeatherVonsj@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to comment! I’m opening the doors of our farm to share with you and enjoy engaging in discussion. Please be respectful in your comments. I reserve the right to remove posts that include name calling, slander, and vulgar language or contain links to websites that assault animal agriculture.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...