California Dairy Council Bone Up on Milk Quiz
Milk does a body and mind good. My top 5 reasons to love milk:
1. It’s a healthy beverage. This nutrient-dense drink contains calcium, potassium, phosphorus, protein, vitamin A, vitamin D, vitamin B12, riboflavin and niacin. All that in one glass!
2. It’s available in chocolate and strawberry. Anything chocolate that is good for you is a winner in my book. See what Pediatrician Dr. Robert Murray and Registered Dietitian Sally Kuzemchak are saying about flavored milk.
3. It boosts your brain power. A recent study found that milk drinkers were five times more likely to succeed in tasks testing memory and brain function compared to non-milk drinkers.
4. It’s a great sports drink. According to a new study, skim milk does a better job of replacing lost nutrients than water or traditional sports drinks. “Milk is a good source of protein, carbohydrates, calcium, and electrolytes,” says Brian Timmons, research director of the Child Health and Exercise Medicine Program at McMaster.
5. Leading health and nutrition organizations encourage drinking milk. The American Dietetic Association, American Academy of Family Physicians, American Academy of Pediatrics, Action for Healthy Kids, National Medical Association and the School Nutrition Association are a few of the well-known organizations that recognize the importance of milk at meeting nutrient needs.
Interested in reading more? Check out the other blogs I’ve written about the benefits of drinking milk:
Got Dairy? It’s Good For You!
Do You Drink Milk?
Chocolate Milk – The Hero Not The Villain
Top 10 Reasons to Drink Chocolate Milk