Tuesday, October 30, 2012

An Extraordin-Dairy Adventure

I recently had an opportunity to meet several fellow bloggers. They were participating in An Extraordin-Dairy Adventure sponsored by the American Dairy Association Mideast. I serve on the ADA Mideast Board and blog, so was thrilled to have dinner with this group at Michael Symon’s Lola Bistro in Cleveland.

It was a neat experience to have conversations with fellow moms who blog and to hear their dairy questions. We all have different backgrounds, but share much in common. Blogging is a wonderful way to share your stories, life experiences, pictures, and recipes.

Several have written posts about their experience, I’ve pulled a favorite quote from each post and linked to them below so you can read the entire story and see their beautiful photos:

My Ohio Dairy Adventure from Farm to Table by Sheila, Eat2Gather
“I was happy to find that the confidence I already had in the dairy products I buy was confirmed. The dairy in this country is SAFE, it's nutritious, and is of vital importance to the health and growth of our children, and the continued health of adults. Dairy farmers in Ohio, and no doubt across the US, are committed to producing safe milk, they are stringently regulated, and only want the best for their families and yours!!”

A Mom’s Dairy Adventure: Milk From Farm to Fridge by Vanessa, French Foodie Mom
“We visited two farms. The first farm, the Richman Dairy Farm had 80 Holstein, Jersey, and Brown Swiss cows. They were milked twice a day, eight at a time. The second farm, the Andreas Dairy Farm, had 1300 Holstein cows that were milked three times a day, twenty-four hours a day. Huge difference in size but both the small and large farm had happy, healthy cows living in large open air barns.”

Ohio Dairy Adventure by Liz, The Lemon Bowl
“As a new mom who just so happens to be introducing her son to cow’s milk for the first time, this experience could not have been more timely.” “The passion and love these folks had for their cows was undeniable.”
Liz's photo of the group at Andreas Dairy

Calves, Cows & Cheese by Rachel, Hounds in the Kitchen
“I learned 1001 things about milk, cows, and cheese on the Ohio Dairy Adventure, many of which I will share in future posts.”
Rachel's photo of her calf feeding experience

Outside Katrina’s Kitchen by Katrina, In Katrina’s Kitchen
“I just wanted to show you this adorable baby calf that I fell in love with. I got to feed her with my own hands!! Every time I came near her later she would lick her lips. Stinking cute! Farmer Dan (of Andreas Dairy) said if he would let her out of the pen she would've followed me all day. **heart melting** Yes I fell in love with her!”
Katrina's photo of "her" calf

All the bloggers received a recipe book featuring one recipe from each of our blogs. Many of these bloggers are wonderful cooks too! I tried a few recipes from this cookbook and plan to try them all. Here’s a sampling:

Apple Dumplings a la Me by Christina, A Mommy Story
Its apple season, so last weekend I made this recipe from Christina’s blog. It was delicious! I served it with vanilla ice cream as she recommended and it was so good I had a second helping!

Mascarpone & Raspberry Ice Cream Crepes  by Susan, Doughmesstic
Susan’s blog features a variety of recipes with mouth-watering photos. They are categorized to make it easy to find your favorites. Do yourself a favor and check out this wonderful blog.

Gluten Free Tassies on InstaFriday by Heather, Domestic Extraordinaire
This recipe looks yummy. It calls for 2 packages of cream cheese and 2 sticks of butter, need I say more?

Thanks to these ladies who took time from their busy life to participate in this Ohio Dairy Adventure!

2 comments:

  1. So awesome to meet you! Great post! So wish you could have ridden the Rock Star bus all day with us ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila. I enjoyed reading your story about the adventure! Your recent S'more Pie post looks so delicious. S'mores are one of my favorite desserts, so I'm going to have to try this pie.

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to comment! I’m opening the doors of our farm to share with you and enjoy engaging in discussion. Please be respectful in your comments. I reserve the right to remove posts that include name calling, slander, and vulgar language or contain links to websites that assault animal agriculture.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...