Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Learning to Do, Doing to Learn, Earning to Live, Living to Serve

That’s the FFA motto. During high school, I was a member of Future Farmers of America (FFA). This was a great experience that provided many wonderful opportunities, experiences and friendships.

Last week was National FFA Week which is an annual celebration of this organization which boasts 507,753 members in 7,439 chapters across the U.S.

In honor of National FFA week, many past FFA members posted pictures from their experience on their Facebook page. It’s neat to see how FFA played a role in the lives of so many of today's ag leaders.

I’d like to share some pictures and memories of my FFA experience at Tulare Union High School.
(Disclaimer - I know I have big hair, it was the 80's!)

I had a dairy project and looked forward to taking animals to the Tulare County Fair each year. . . .
Going into Showmanship at the 1985 Tulare County Fair
 My heifer, Air-osa BB Cassie, was Junior Champion at the Cow Palace in 1986
Getting ready to sell my replacement heifer at the Tulare County Fair 1986
Me and Lori (Sousa) Cardoza, Dairy Princess, at the 1987 Tulare County Fair
Getting ready to sell my hog at the 1988 Tulare County Fair

I served as an officer on the chapter, sectional and regional levels. . . .
Me and my friend Dianna at a Regional FFA Conference 1987
The Chapter FFA Banquet my senior year, I served as chapter President

Participated in Prepared Public Speaking contests all four years of high school. . . .
Me with my Ag Teacher and Public Speaking Coach, Dave Caetano
With my parents after winning the State Prepared Public Speaking Contest in 1988
I was fortunate to have agriculture instructors who dedicated their lives to students and the FFA
program. Thank you to Dave Caetano, my advisor and coach, and Max Corbett, my dairy project
advisor, who spent many hours and taught me important lessons.

Receiving the American FFA Degree at the National Convention in 1989
The FFA is a wonderful organization that continues providing opportunities to high school students today. I'm proud to have been part of the FFA!

Fun FFA Facts
FFA was founded in 1928.

The week of George Washington’s birthday was designated as National FFA Week in 1947.

In 1969, delegates at the National FFA Convention voted to allow women to be members.

The FFA mission is to make a positive difference in the lives of students by developing their potential for premier leadership, personal growth and career success through agricultural education.

2 comments:

  1. As an Ag Teacher from Florida, I love seeing other people who were FFA members share about their experiences!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katie for being an Ag teacher! I know how much extra time Ag teachers devote to their students and FFA activities. You are making a difference in many lives!

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to comment! I’m opening the doors of our farm to share with you and enjoy engaging in discussion. Please be respectful in your comments. I reserve the right to remove posts that include name calling, slander, and vulgar language or contain links to websites that assault animal agriculture.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...