Tuesday, August 6, 2013

My Marlboro Man…..Lad Hastings

The Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond, and I have something in common; we both have handsome farmer husbands named Lad. They share more than just a name. Both are rugged, strong, hard-working men who love spending their days around livestock.

What kind of man commits his life to dairy farming, works daily to care for cattle, and can handle the ups and downs of life on a farm? Here’s some insight on my husband, Lad

Why did you choose to become a dairy farmer?
I was raised on a dairy farm with parents who taught me to appreciate cows and all animals. I thought raising my family on a farm would be a good lifestyle. I loved growing up on a farm and wanted to provide my children with the same experience.


What is your favorite thing about being a dairy farmer?
I like cows. I like the calmness around the cows and enjoy watching them. I’m proud of how our cows look and the job that we do. The cows on our farm are friendly because the people who work with them provide great care. I’m proud of that.


What do you like least about dairy farming?
Covering the corn silage pile tarp with tires because it’s usually muddy and raining.   

This is a pile of feed covered in tarp and tires
What is your first memory of dairy farming?
Feeding calves with my mom. I helped my mom feed calves every evening from a very young age. I bottle and bucket fed the calves and helped put in fresh bedding.

Lad teaching his sons to feed a calf in 2009
Garrett and Lad feeding a newborn calf
What is your favorite childhood memory?
I liked being with dad. My dad was tough and strong and we drove tractors together. Even though I was a little boy, he treated me like a man when we worked together. I couldn’t wait to grow up so I could help and do something meaningful on the farm. Occasionally, I would skip a day of elementary school to help dad. Dad would tell mom I was such a big help and that made me feel proud.

Lad and his father on the tractor
Lad mowing Sudan grass last week
What accomplishments are you most proud of?
Two things; 1) Earning a Bachelor of Science degree from The Ohio State University. I didn’t love school, but I earned this degree. 2) Being a husband and father.

With Brutus Buckeye (Ohio State mascot) while visiting OSU this summer
Frog catching with the boys on our pond
What profession would you choose if you weren’t a dairy farmer?
I probably would have joined the Air Force because my father always spoke highly of his military service and my brother was in the Air Force. I like the camaraderie military men share.

What do you like to do “off the farm”?
I like driving the countryside to explore different places. I don’t get much opportunity to do this with my schedule. I like looking at towns, farms, homes, and country scenes. I have a good sense of direction and like to find my way to places I’ve never been. I have fond memories of driving trips with my dad when I was younger. It’s neat to explore spontaneously with no particular destination in mind.

What advice do you have for your two sons?
You are accountable for your decisions, good and bad. There are no excuses. Be humble and have a sense of humility.

  
What is your favorite sport?
Baseball. I liked playing baseball in elementary and high school. I don’t play anymore, but like watching baseball.
Visiting BWP Bat Factory in PA last winter
What is your favorite food & beverage?
Cheeseburgers and beer.

What do you think about your wife taking pictures of you all the time and writing about the farm and family on her blog?
I think it’s pretty neat. It chronicles our life. It allows us to share so people can learn what we do.

2 comments:

  1. Great profile! Thanks for sharing your hardworking (and handsome!) husband with us.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to comment! I’m opening the doors of our farm to share with you and enjoy engaging in discussion. Please be respectful in your comments. I reserve the right to remove posts that include name calling, slander, and vulgar language or contain links to websites that assault animal agriculture.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...